Learning Foreign Languages: A Cultural Immersion
There are some studies conducted showing that children, from birth until they reach seven, are in the stage that they could acquire language easier. The ability of an individual to learn languages will slowly decrease as they grow out of puberty. How can adults learn language effectively and faster?
We are now living in an era of globalization. Every country and culture has become connected, whether it is in business, education and other fields. There is a need to be knowledgeable, not in just our local tongue, but also in other languages. It has become a necessity to be able to be a part of the community, get better career opportunities, and therefore succeed.
There are different methods on how you can improve your skills of learning and practicing a new language. You can easily buy different aides like CDs, DVDs, books, dictionaries and magazines in bookstores. But experts have agreed that the most important method is to submerge yourself in the language’s culture.
The best way and most efficient method of teaching a new language would be what is called as “language immersion.” Reading grammar and vocabulary books is indeed important in order to increase your language knowledge. But it is practice and exposure that you would find most helpful when learning a new language. For example, if you would go abroad and live there, then it would be inevitable that you would pick up the language. You are exposed to different aspects of culture that use the language, like television, movies, radio, restaurants, museums, transportation and other public places.
Language immersion will keep learning language balanced. Language is something reflected by the people’s culture, thus, to understand the language, it would be best to understand the ideas and concepts behind it by immersing in the culture. Aside from that, it keeps learning interactive and fun. You do not have to pour over boring texts for hours and are still unable to retain anything.
Language immersion does not mean you would have to go to Spain to learn Spanish or go to France and fluently speak French. There are different ways to immerse ourselves in other cultures without spending too much on the airfare.
5 Ways of immersing yourself into a new language without leaving your house:
- You could start by renting foreign films and listening to different radio programmes using the language of your interest. For example, if you want to learn how to speak Spanish, then telenovelas would be a great way to get acquainted with the language. Telenovelas play a major role in Latin America’s pop culture. There are teachers who would testify that students would get involved in the dramas that they do not even realize that they are slowly improving their Spanish skills.
- Foreign films are also great avenues for language immersion. They are interesting, easy to access and, of course, in the language that you would like to learn.
- If you are not a big fan of foreign dramas and films, then you could certainly learn a lot from foreign sports. You could learn from the announcers and fans, just like in drama. You get involved with the sports that you keep track of and gradually understand what those announcers are actually reporting.
- Radio has played a major role in language acquisition. There are online radios from different parts of the globe which you can listen to. You may find it difficult in the beginning, but later on, you will start to identify more and more words and eventually learn the language.
- Eating in foreign restaurants would also allow you to get acquainted with foreign dishes and how they are pronounced. If you are lucky, some restaurants even include foreign performances while dining.
- Of course, another way is to book lessons online with a native speaker to speak on a regular basis. He or she will give you tips on pronunciation and grammar and on how to speak like a local.
Learning different languages can be done in ways that you do not have to spend too much or even have to leave the country. But if you feel that travelling will boost your experience and education, then go ahead! There are many options that you could choose from. Make sure that you pick out the most practical.
Do you want to learn a new language? Are you struggling to find the right way to practice your English or German skills? Book a FREE trial lesson today at Learn with Kat. We will find out about your skill level and can personalize a course for you. Book a lesson today! Only a few spaces are available! https://www.link.tr.ee/learnwithkat Subscribe to our mailing list for interesting articles and special offers.